Shanghai

Shanghai
The Smith clan

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spicy dinner

One of my Chinese coworkers recommended a restaurant to me that was located about 15 minutes from our house in PuDong.  The name of the restaurant is Ba Guo Bu Yi and it serves traditional Sichuan fare and at 7pm each night they have a performer known only to me as "change face" which basically describes his act.  Cynthia and I had just finished shopping for a new camera in the electronics marketplace for Regan's trip to Beijing and picked up Landon from a friend's house when we decided that we should try out this new place.  Now, I knew that it would be spicy but none of us knew just how spicy it would be - WOW!  As you can see from one of the pictures that I posted Cynthia and Mason were diving for relief in their drinks.  At one point we were all sniffing from the hot spices and had tears in our eyes.  Landon was the only one immune to the whole experience as he wisely stuck to rice and dumplings.  After making a valiant effort to finish all that we ordered we were waiting for the usual watermelon slices to arrive at our table.  When they did not seem to be forthcoming I decided to try and order them from one of the waiters by using a translation program that Mason had downloaded onto his i-Touch.  The Chinese word for watermelon is xi gua which I requested from the waiter.  Several minutes later a pitcher of freshly blended watermelon juice arrived at our table - warm watermelon juice - not exactly what we were looking for.  I then resorted to drawing on my napkin a picture of watermelon slices - which were being served to every table around us and finally got the message across.  We had a great time overall and they even ended up taking the watermelon juice off the bill even though we drank all of it. 

I want to thank all of you who have been clicking on the Google ads.  We have raised over $60 so far for the Bao Bei Foundation.  We will be donating the money once we reach $400 which is the amount needed for one cleft palate operation.

2 comments:

Sue said...

My palate doesn't tolerate hot foods very well. Hopefully the performer was interesting. I can't believe Regan's field trip will be 5 days long. He will be an expert photographer by the time he leaves China I'm thinking. Mason's cycle looks pretty cool! Is there a helmet law over there?

Sue

Chris LaRue said...

I'm still stuck on the "recycled Cat Coffee" thing.

I miss all of you, and have been following your blog, and really have enjoyed the pictures.

The biggest question for the LaRue's these days is "What are we going to do for Halloween without the Smiths?"

Been praying for you,
Chris