Shanghai

Shanghai
The Smith clan

Monday, September 13, 2010

Meals

Well, one thing that has definitely changed since we have been here is the frequency with which we dine out.  Now that might be due to the fact we are somewhat limited in our kitchen supplies area - one frying pan, a serving spoon, some plates and plastic dinnerware.  It could also be that when we go to the grocery store we can't read or recognize a single package or label.  There is one store that imports alot of European and American brands but it is not exactly the cheapest route.  Despite all this, Cynthia has made an effort to make some nice homemade dinners.  Her first attempt (actually not an attempt - she actually made a very nice dinner) was a rotisserie chicken in our oven.  I came home to a house filled with the aroma of roast chicken.  When I walked into the kitchen Cynthia was busy over the sink and I perused the room looking to see what all was going to accompany the main course.  To my horror, I noticed a pair of my gym socks on the kitchen counter!  I thought I was definitely going to hear about that and couldn't believe that Cynthia had not already scolded me.  I went to reach for the socks trying to discretely get rid of the evidence when I heard "Stop!" (Oh, I am so busted)  I replied, "Honey, I am so sorry. I must have been in a ...."  She interrupted with "Those are my hot pads!"  So you can see why eating out has been more popular than cooking in.  We really are looking forward to the shipment.  By the way, does anyone know how to get roast chicken stains out of cotton socks? 

Sunday night we went to a very nice local Chinese restaurant with a friend of Cynthia's and her two kids ages 15 and 22.  The 22 year old is a classmate of Mason's at Fudan.  The food was great and we all enjoyed everything - even the spicy black mountain snake.  I can't wait to take you all there when you visit.  Have a great day.  I have to run and pack for my trip to Qingdao. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I REFUSE to eat black mountain snake.

Scott & Cynthia Smith said...

A little bony - but quite tasty!