Shanghai

Shanghai
The Smith clan

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day by day

Mason, Regan and I just got back from dinner.  Cynthia and Landon were at football practice when I got home and we were very hungry so we headed to one of our favorite spots - the DIY Butcher Shop.  Now you don't actually have to butcher your own meat but you do pick it out of the deli case and they grill it up for you at a nominal charge.  Tonight we had lamb and beef kebabs - mmm mmm good!  Afterwards I treated the boys to a foot massage and now we are all settling in for a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow I head for Beijing to attend a trade show then on to Qingdao for some meetings and then I will stay over the weekend to attend a Chinese wedding for our HR Director.  Cynthia was going to join me but we couldn't work it out so I will be on my own.  I am having to learn quickly about Chinese wedding etiquette so I don't offend anyone.  The traditional wedding gift is a red envelope, called Hong Bao, in which you place cash for the newlyweds.  I guess I will learn as I go - it should be an interesting experience.

Mason is getting along well in school and is beginning to feel comfortable with the language and can even converse with his classmates.  He has found some friends who all speak French and he has been able to spend some time on breaks and at lunch talking with them in French.  Nearly everyone in his class speaks at least three languages with English being the common link among them all.

Cynthia has had some scooter trouble and had to drive it all the way to the shop where we bought it.  She didn't know the way so our driver Mr. Dong would drive alongside her and then wait as she caught up.  She told me she felt just like a local and was only missing the pile of recycled cardboard on the back of the bike to complete the deal.  The first trouble with the scooter involved one of the wires disconnecting from the batteries when I hit a bump.  I tried to repair it (which I did after I put the fire out)  but the fire damaged some other wiring and then it was in need of some serious overhaul in order to get the lights working.  I did get it to run however and Cynthia would just wear her "Light up the Night" lanyards that blink in blue and red hanging over her back in order to travel safely at night.  All is better ... for now.

No comments: