Shanghai

Shanghai
The Smith clan

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Two teens and a tween

Well it is official - we have a new teenager in the house (oh joy.)  Regan celebrated his 13th birthday yesterday.  He had decided that he wanted an acoustic guitar for a gift so after work on Monday I headed down to Jin Ling Lu (Lu = street) where all the music shops are located.  Mr. Dong waited with the car while I shopped around. After the third store I found what I was looking for, haggled for a 250 RMB discount (about $35) had them throw in a strap, case and 2 picks and then was on my way.  When I got back in the van Mr. Dong was surprised to see my purchase and I tried to explain that it was a birthday gift for Regan.  Apparently I got the message across because the next morning Mr. Dong showed up with a beautiful birthday cake complete with candles, plates and utensils!  It was a great surprise and we enjoyed the cake after dinner last night.

Landon has decided to join the American Football club and last night was his first practice.  This is the club's third year and they usually get enough players for 9-man teams.  They are affiliated with the Shanghai Rugby and Football Club and share fields with them. The season runs until the end of November with a break during the October festival. Practices are Tuesday and Friday evenings with games on Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing Landon play and he is very excited.

Cynthia is quickly learning that things are not as easily done here in China.  We have 2 pass cards for the front entry to our apartment and needed to get 3 more (for an additional 80 RMB each - about $10each) So she headed to the Service Center on Monday afternoon to get the passes.  "I would like three passes please"  - "We can't do"  - " But I was told that this was where to get additional passes" - "We only do passes on Mondays and Wednesdays" - "Today is Monday" - "We only do in the mornings" - "So I need to come back on Wednesday morning?" - "No, you come tomorrow and we do for you"  And so the logic goes or doesn't. 

No comments: